First, I decided to add a patina with Baroque Art Gilder's Paste. I simply apply it with my fingers. An alternative that can work as well is nail polish, but the color might peel at some point.
To protect the color, I sprayed them with Rust-oleum clear gloss and let it dry for about and hour in the sun.
And there you have it, a new patina pair of earrings with earnuts. I could have stopped there but that would have been way to easy.
Plan A was to turn the earrings upside down with the widest side on top and to drill holes. When I started drilling, the top broke off as the earrings are made pewter instead of brass as previously thought. Plan B was to glue the one earring that broke off back together with E-6000 (which is great to glue metals. Note: Crazy Glue doesn't work on metals), then I used thin sterling silver wire and wrapped the thing gazillion times to both secure the earring and to make it dangle from the French earhook.
The mishap made the earring design way better. I'm stoked with the end result. Perhaps you have a pair of earrings that needs updating. Go ahead try it, there's no right or wrong just make sure that you have fun through the entire process -even when you mess up. Share your pics with us on Facebook or Instagram. If you need me to help out, don't hesitated to hit me up.
By Sol at Wink Artisans,maker of stunning, artisan jewelry.